When it comes out of the oven, this dish will fill your home with an aroma that’s sure to bring a smile on everyone’s face. A generous portion of this delicious cherry crisp is best served hot with a scoop of some good old vanilla ice cream - ready for your family or friends to enjoy! Kids especially love this one - you won’t be able to get them away from it!
So if you’re after pure joy in every bite and smiles all around, let our Classic Cherry Crisp be part of your next baking session. With its simple yet delicious ingredients, go ahead and put this yummy treat on top of everyone's favorites list right away!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
for the filling-
5-6 cups fresh pitted cherries
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons minute tapioca (or cornstarch)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract for the topping-
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup quick cooking oats
2/3 cup light brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, water, lemon juice, sugar and tapioca. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Stir in almond extract and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 2-QT dish.
3. Stir together the our, baking powder, baking soda, oats, and brown sugar. Drizzle in the melted butter and stir until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is crumbly.
4. Pour cherry mixture into your prepared pan and evenly top with crumble mixture.
5. Bake 35-40 minutes until top is golden brown and cherries are bubbly.
6. Serve warm with ice cream.